Monday, August 27, 2007

Video Chatting

Hi, my name is Rachel and I’m a sophomore in the school of Human Ecology. I am a human development major and have no idea what I’m going to do it but I’ve liked my classes so far. I’m from North Caldwell, New Jersey..exit 145 on the parkway (because everyone always asks). I played soccer and softball all four years of high school but now am just playing intramural soccer with my sorority AEPhi. I love most of the MTV shows: Real World, The Hills, Laguna Beach, and am obsessed with Sex and the City and Friends. This is also my first experience with blogs in any way so I hope it’s fun.
I am extremely interested in video chatting because it is something that I use all the time and at times don’t know what I would do without it. I think it is actually what helped my long-distance relationship survive for a good portion of my freshman year. There is something to be said for being able to see someone compared to just hearing their voice and this internet invention has made it extremely easy to do with just a little click of a button. It’s actually amazing at how easy it is to all of a sudden be shown a glimpse into someone else’s world all through this great phenomenon. With my boyfriend across the country in California last year and having to go over a month without seeing each other, I am extremely grateful for video chat. When he got a haircut I was able to see his new look, I was able to see his entire room and meet his friends, and I was also able to just look at him and make sure he looked at me in the same way. Without this opportunity, some of our connection may have been lost. Instead, when I got to finally see him it was as if in some ways we had never been apart.
While I obviously think that this is all great, it’s a little scary to think of how much I relied on video chatting for my relationship. Would we have broken up sooner if we hadn’t had this tool? Did I know too much about his life and more space was needed? Although at the time I thought I couldn’t live without it, I’m beginning to think that it’s a little invasive. I would be all sweaty from the gym without makeup on and my computer would start beeping at me saying I had an invitation to chat and I just couldn’t reject the invitation. Therefore, the video chat allowed my boyfriend to see me in what I consider one of my grossest states and that is something I am not a fan of.
If I had to categorize video chatting it would be in a synchronous chat environment, although it doesn’t quite fit due to many added features. There are the extra elements of the other person being able to see you and you having to respond quickly and there is no option for anonymity. This would actually be pointless because you have chosen to be talking to the person you are video chatting with. I think that video chatting really needs a new category of its own to be developed in order to accurately display everything it has to offer.

No comments: