Monday, August 27, 2007

iChat: A Double Etched Sword

Hey everyone. My name is Jacob and I’m from Roslyn, New York. I am a sophomore communication major, but I am looking to possibly pursue a double major in Applied Economics and Management. I worked for a financial company this summer and really enjoyed it, so I might apply to double. I am a big sports fan. I played basketball and baseball in high school, but due to the fact that I am 5’11” and Jewish, I clearly could not continue to play sports on a Varsity level at college. Therefore I live my sport fantasies through intramurals and by rooting for the Yankees, Jets, and Knicks.

A relatively new internet phenomenon that interests me is iChatting. Last year before my freshman year began, my parents and I discussed getting a laptop. There are seemingly endless alternatives, whether it is a Dell, IBM, HP, or an Apple. I stressed to my parents that I would be happy with any laptop I got since I had never had my own computer before. Secretly though, I was hoping they’d get me an Apple, and lucky for me, they seemed to read my mind and purchased one.

One of the cool features that comes with the Apple is a built in camera that you could use to take pictures and chat live with other people via iChat, an alternate form of AIM. I became obsessed with this tool, as every day I would chat live with my friends from all across the country. It seemed as if we had never left Roslyn, as iChat kept all our interactions much more personal than IMing or texting ever did. I am still in awe of modern technology, as I cannot fully fathom how I, in Ithaca, New York, can literally see and talk to someone from Los Angeles, California at the mere push of a button. And now that iChat has been introduced into my life, I cannot imagine living without it. In years prior, when high school friends went to college, it remained hard to stay in touch and feel as connected. But iChat totally changes this, as I can feel like my friends are all in the same vicinity as me, just a click away. Just like it was back in Roslyn.

While I am a huge fan of iChat and videoconferencing, there is one disadvantage that just arose a few weeks ago. I came home one day during the summer to see a brand new Apple laptop in my parents room. My worst fears have come true- my parents would be able to videochat with me now, and actually see my face and all my surroundings. The thought unnerves me a bit, since my mom was always overprotective of me in high school. She always needed to know my whereabouts, no matter the time or place. Therefore as you can imagine, I loved going away to college and experiencing the newfound freedom that was handed to me. While videochatting with my parents is not the same as them being at my side or living under the same roof, it carries the disadvantage of direct communication with them. Don’t get me wrong. I love my parents very much. I just need space. Lots of space. So we shall see how this unfolds in the near future, and see how my mom reacts when I repeatedly reject her videochat invitations lol.

No comments: