Monday, October 1, 2007

6,1 If I write one more damn thing about facebook.....

That's right people. I refuse to do facebook! I think it has been used in every post I have put up and it is time to make a stand. So have that facebook with your name in the top left corner and when i put my arrow over you for some reason a tiny house appears to the right. Take that! But let me digress. Woo sah....woo sah....anywho...why not do a blog about myspace. WOO HOO!
I am in search for the Leviathan, which for some reason makes me think of Star Wars (any Star Wars buffs out there let me know why I'm thinking that), on mysapce. The Leviathan is an "amorphous entity that defines what behaviors will be accepted and whcih will be punished." (hancock, a lecture sometime) Now unlike that f-word, which I have recently decided to not use anymore, there are no applications. There are no poke wars, graffitti walls, and can you believe there is now an application for baby making!!!!! Oh f-bomb, you silly kama sutra you. No myspace has no applications, however, when myspace first burst onto the scene, it was all about PIMPING YO PAGE!!!! Anybody, high five, c'mon. Yes, for some reason this Leviathan FORCED us kids to pimp out our page. As soon as my account was confirmed I was changing my background, putting up pictures, and posting videos on my page. I had to stay on my grind, keep my stuff faresh! When someone had pimped out there page, it was hot! If you had just a blank one though, people avoided yo page like the clap! It's safe to assume that the Leviathan of myspace is none other than your clique/ring of friends. You conform to their norms which is pimping a page instead of perhaps just having a blank one. And now to the theory/ies....

I believe one theory that applies to myspace and peoples want to hook it up it the SIDE Theory. This theory has two parts, the Social Identity and then the Deindividuation effects. Social identity applies to the kids who conform to the norm and pimp out their page. They pimp out their page because the group they are a part of or the ring of friends they surround themselves with did it. In terms of the deinviduation effects, these are the people in online communities that are visually anonymous. That coincides with one part of deindividuation effects. However, deindividuation effects is disproved in another part. In lecture, we discussed how with deindividuation effects, individuals have a positive reaction to other people's normative behavior. With myspace, these individuals who remain visually anonymous are sometimes the people who put viruses on someone else's page, causing their page to crash which leads to creating another page.

Stupid facebook. "I don't know how to quit you." (Brokeback Mountain)

No comments: