Monday, September 3, 2007

My SWG Family I Never Knew... Assignment 1

In Communication 245 this week our assignment was to enter a space on the Internet and interact or observe another person. When first reading this assignment I was thinking the only possibly to complete this assignment was going to be to enter a chat room and talk with people on there. As I searched for a chat room I thought would be interesting I realized, why not just talk with someone in my MMORPG and get to know him or her better. As I logged onto Star Wars Galaxies I never thought that I would be logging on here in order to do my homework, I was pretty odd for me. I chose a member of my guild that we always call Pace or Paceo. I chose to specifically target him in our conversation during the weekend and did not let him know I was doing so or why I was doing it until the end of the weekend. Normally when talking to my guild on SWG I talk to them about the game and not them personally, so this assignment was a nice little helper in getting to know someone I talk to almost every day but know little about. Over the weekend I was able to gather so much information about him that I could honestly consider him a good friend. Although I found out all this information about him I still had really no clue what he looked like. I chose not to ask him about personally information like this to keep our friendship healthy until he was told why I was so curious lately. I believe that over the weekend I was able to gain a pretty good understanding of whom Pace really was and what he stood for. Referring back to our lesion in class in week I think that my interaction more closely proves true the hypothesis of the SIP theory or the Social Information Processing Theory. I believe this because when interacting with Pace I was never in a position to think any neutral or negative thoughts about him. Instead I just feel as if getting to know him took a little more time then it would have face to face.

No comments: